Thursday, February 7, 2013

Weekend Getaway: The Alps!


A huge bonus of living in Bavaria? The Alps are literally a short drive away! We took advantage of our prime location and a base-organized trip which included transportation, lodging, breakfast, and super-discounted ski and snowboard rentals for a long weekend skiing in the Alps.
Though skiing in Axamer-Lizum, Austria (home of the 1964 Olympic alpine skiing events) and Garmisch, Germany sounds advanced, it sadly didn't magically improve my ski and snowboard skills. Regardless, here are some of the most memorable pieces of the trip:



Après-ski at the top of the mountain:

Though I was not skilled enough to make it to the authentic ski-in Apres-Ski on the Olympic run, the huts I made it to still had a way of making Jager shots (thanks, Chris!) seem chic.










Crazy European outfits:

I honestly felt like I had stepped into a mid-70s ski lodge movie set at times. It was harder than I thought to capture this on film, so these may or may not be American stand-ins...










'Learning' to snowboard:

A reliable source told me that the bunny-hops on the Alps are equivalent to double black diamonds in Colorado.










The views: 

Almost everywhere you looked there was another absolutely breathtaking view. Thanks, Dan for snapping this one since I didn't make it that far on the snowboard!






Staying in the bachelor pad:

That's right, I was the lone girl in a hostel apartment with seven guys. Girls - they are all in the Army so you know they are fit, and did I mention there are a few doctors in the mix? If you hadn't planned your trip to Germany before, I bet you're looking at flights now!
Photo credit: thanks again, Dan!

2 comments:

  1. Kelseyyyy these pictures are AMAZING! i HATE cold weather, but I would sacrifice myself just to see these views!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start my planning to Germany!

    ReplyDelete