Sunday, March 24, 2013

Belgian Surprise

In 36 hours, with the help of a wonderful friend and local tour guide, Brussels taught me that my expectations are sometimes wildly off-base. Here's how:


I thought the waffles would be like a Belgian Waffle at Breadwinners
We should have known our American waffles were inferior when we spotted the uncooked Belgian waffle - a huge heap of dough. How can we think the watery batter is acceptable? Though my skinny jeans glared at me when I took the first bite after seeing the lumps of sugar added to the dough, I chowed down on the hot waffle that literally melted in my mouth. Do not continue to live thinking that you have tasted a Belgian waffle at your favorite brunch spot. You must try the real deal for yourself.


I thought the beer would be as strong as German beer
Serious warning to future tourists in Belgium: with 10% alcohol content, those fancy-looking beers in interestingly-shaped glasses are stronger than two Bud Lights. Don't be fooled by the containers - though some are actually bottled like champagne (corks and all!), they are instead deliciously strong beers! Thanks to warnings from Mike and a lost voice on my part, we sipped carefully over the St. Patty's weekend, even after a three hour stop at Delirium...




I thought the Grand Palace would be small
I feel like I have seen quite a few of palaces and city squares throughout our journeys in Europe, but the Grand Palace was pretty remarkable. Maybe it's because I love gold, or because the whole square was so harmonious, but the square was beautiful and I can't even imagine what it looks like when the 'flower carpet' covers all 19,000 sq ft every two years. I'm penciling it in for August 2014!








I thought the Manneken Pis would be big
But I think the "Little Man Pee" is actually cuter this way! We were a little sad to see him in the nude - apparently he is dressed up several times a week in outfits ranging from Santa and Dracula to Elvis and soccer players (not an inclusive list - there are over 800 costumes!). Our friend Mike has also enjoyed a cup of Delirium beer from the fountain, which is hooked up to a keg during certain fests. Something else that is currently penciled in!



I thought we had seen a large variety of street food

But I never would've dreamed I would eat street escargot (for just €4!). Believe it or not, I tried it, and enjoyed it! I guess that's evidence of the French influence on the city, but it was still unexpected!








Honorable mention: I thought we had seen enough Kebab stands
Truth: I do not like Kebabs, but I love Patrick and he loves Kebabs so we stopped by Mike's favorite stand. They kept us thoroughly entertained, and I'm pretty sure we entertained them right back when Thomas, Patrick, and Mike were all inspired to dance after downing the kebabs - here is your evidence!

No comments:

Post a Comment